- About Us
- Join CGE!
Officer Positions and Roles
- CGE Executive Council
- Officer Roles
CGE Executive Council
The CGE EC is the elected body that is entrusted to carry out the business of the union as dictated by the members. As such, it is necessary that all EC members commit to carrying out this duty for the entire year of office. Officers are elected annually at the spring general membership meeting, and terms run from July 1 – June 31 of the following year. Any member with at least 3 months’ membership in good standing in the union is eligible to hold office.
All EC members are expected to attend and participate in regular EC meetings (weekly during the academic year, less frequently during breaks); check in and respond over email when decisions need to be made that way; and participate in all the regular business that keeps the union running. This includes participating in quarterly membership drives, helping deliver short orientations to all incoming graduate students at the beginning of the academic year, attending AFT-Oregon convention in April, and attending the annual planning retreat in the summer. The EC works directly with CGE’s staff organizer and business manager to ensure that the daily tasks that keep the union going are completed. The time commitment varies over the year and by officer position, but in general, EC members should anticipate spending several hours a week on CGE related activities.
Specific Officer Roles
The President is the face of CGE, chairs EC meetings, and generally does all the little things that help keep CGE running. This includes following up with all other officers and doing things that other folks can’t get to. This position is best suited for someone who is familiar with CGE, is good at managing many tasks and being organized, and can write and communicate clearly and professionally with diverse audiences. It is usually someone who has previous EC experience.
- Facilitate the weekly EC meeting
- Review and finalize the EC agendas
- Facilitate quarterly General Membership Meetings (GMM)
- Review and finalize the GMM agendas
- Sweep the floor after the GMM
- Facilitate the annual strategic planning event for the EC and reps
- Attend quarterly rep meetings
- Attend quarterly meetings with President Ray and other administration members
- Attend the annual AFT-OR President’s Conference (November)
- Oversee the Staff Organizer and Business Manager, including having ongoing meetings to help guide the Organizer’s work, and guiding annual reviews
- Ensure that all ideas, suggestions, problems, and communications coming from members are followed up on
- Follow up on budget and administrative tasks as needed
- Maintain staff contracts and agreements
- Attend CLC meetings in lieu of the External Relations Chair
- Keep up to date with other officer activities
- Meet with other officers to support them in their roles
They can be contacted at email@example.com.
Vice President for Collective Bargaining and Grievances
The VP for Bargaining is responsible for chairing the bargaining team or finding a suitable chair in a bargaining year (any year that starts with an odd number, e.g. 2011-2012) and for fielding any grievances that come in. In bargaining years, they can appoint a member-rep or a grievance committee to field grievances. This position is best suited for someone who is willing to know and understand the CGE contract in and out, and is passionate about enforcing it. Some experience on a prior year’s bargaining team is ideal.
- Facilitate weekly EC meetings in the absence of the president
- Know the CGE contract inside and out
- Update bargaining and grievance issues at quarterly GMMs
- Grievance related duties:
- Report all things grievance-related to the EC and solicit EC input on same
- Meet with grievants and potential grievants
- Write grievances
- Attend grievance meetings with the Employer as well as Arbitration hearings
- Work with the AFT-OR Field Rep and CGE Staff Organizer on grievances
- Bargaining related duties:
- Recruit bargaining team members
- Chair the bargaining team (note this is different than being the lead negotiator)
- Organize the bargaining team before and during contract negotiations
- Arrange for the bargaining team to be trained
- Report to the EC on things related to bargaining
- Maintain a relationship with the OSU Office of Human Resources outside of grievances and bargaining, including attending quarterly meetings with President Ray and the administration.
They can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vice President for Organizing
This person is responsible for bringing new members into CGE, recruiting Reps/Stewards and other volunteers, and organizing turnout for CGE events. This position is best suited for someone who is relatively familiar with CGE and who likes reaching out to people and working with the CGE member-volunteers. Former reps are well suited to this position.
- Facilitate quarterly rep meetings
- Finalize quarterly rep meeting agendas
- Plan and participate in the quarterly membership drives
- Participate in beginning of the year orientations
- Plan quarterly ‘CGE 101’ meetings for new members
- Plan CGE’s overall organizing strategy with the Staff Organizer and President
- Report on membership numbers at quarterly GMMs
- Recruit new members and Reps
- Meet with Reps as needed (to maintain relationships)
- Organize actions and events in support of bargaining
- Organize actions and events around other campaigns
- Boost turnout to GMMs and other CGE functions
- Distribute new information (flyers, member lists, etc.) to reps around campus
They can be contacted at email@example.com.
Vice President for Communications
This person is responsible for communications with CGE members and developing an overall communications strategy that keeps CGE in the forefront of members’ minds. This is a good entry-level position for someone who is not necessarily as familiar with CGE as other folks but who can write and communicate well. Graphic design and technology skills, along with new ideas and creativity, are all a plus.
- Update the CGE website regularly
- Update the CGE Facebook page (including adding new members)
- Use the Twitter account as necessary (i.e., in support of bargaining)
- Photograph, or arrange for photography, at events
- Develop and distribute (to bulletin boards) CGE promotional materials
- Develop other outreach and communication methods (monthly columns, etc)
- Develop and maintain media contacts
- Write and send press releases as needed
- Write and email the monthly digest
- Write and email out the quarterly newsletter
- Design promotional materials
- Develop newsletter team/committee
- Keep in touching with bargaining, etc. to keep up with everything
They can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This person works with the Business Manager to keep CGE’s books and meeting minutes. They also chair an annual budget committee and oversee the annual audit. This position can be entry-level, even though it requires some training up front, and is great for folks who like doing essential tasks out of the limelight. Analytical skills are good tools for the job. Willingness to stay on for more than a year is a definite bonus.
- Organize an annual audit committee
- Oversee the annual audit (October)
- Organize an annual budget committee
- Oversee the creation of an annual budget (June)
- Perform a monthly reconciliation of the checkbook
- Take EC meeting minutes when the Business Manager is gone
- Report on the budget to the membership at GMMs
- Present a financial report/budget update to the EC monthly
- Ensure the IRS form 990 is filed
- Ensure the agency fee audit is distributed to members annually
They can be contacted at email@example.com.
External Relations Chair
This person maintains CGE’s relationships with external organizations such as ASOSU, SEIU, AAUP, AGEL, and AFT-Oregon. This is a position best suited for someone who is quite familiar with CGE, as they need to be able to represent CGE to external organizations. Prior EC members, bargaining team members, or active reps would be well suited to the position.
- Maintain a relationship with campus coalition activities via email
- Attend Campus Coalition meetings or campus group meetings as necessary with our colleagues in AAUP, ASOSU, and SEIU
- Help plan and promote joint events sponsored by coalition groups
- Attend CLC meetings monthly (Albany)
- Participate in the monthly AGEL conference call
- Arrange and attend quarterly meetings with President Ray
- Liaison with the ASOSU Grad Affairs Task Force Director
- Liaison with AFT-OR and other AFT-OR locals when necessary
- Develop further union connections with other labor unions in Corvallis
- Report on all activities to the CGE EC
- Attend Faculty Senate meetings as needed
They can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Activities Chair
This person helps plan events and works on building community among grad employees both as part of CGE’s regular activities and in a standalone capacity. This is a great entry-level position for someone enthusiastic about planning, organizing, and developing CGE’s social offerings, and who believes in the value of building community among our members through social events.
- Arrange food for quarterly GMMs, two annual BBQs and other CGE events
- Lead organization of the Brew-Off , an annual charity event (fall term)
- Promote and develop informal social events via the social list serve
- Promote attendance of activities at other locals (e.g., SEIU rallies, GTFF events)
- Lead organization of other activities over the year (sports teams, game nights, etc)
- Promote and develop family-friendly activities for CGE members
- Advocate for community-building as a part of CGE’s organizing practices
- Promote and maintain CGE as a social center for graduate employees and their families
They can be reached at email@example.com.
Social List Signup
Talk to your union cousins about parties, sporting events, classes, etc.
- New Executive Council Position- VP Of Social Justice! October 31, 2017
- 2017-2018 Bargaining Platform! October 30, 2017
- 2017-2018 Bargaining Survey October 12, 2017
- Need Help With SEVIS & VISA Reimbursement? September 18, 2017
- Classified Workers at Oregon State University July 31, 2017
- ► 2017
- ► 2016
- ► 2015
- ► 2014
- ► 2013
- ► 2012
- ► 2011
- ► 2010
- ► 2009
- ► 2008
- ► 2007